Many of my job seeking clients want to take a “little break” during the Holiday season because no one is hiring anyway, right? WRONG! Companies are still hiring right now! In fact, it is actually a great time to network, do some follow-up calls, and send out more resumes.
Here are 5 tips for a Holiday Job Search
- Employers hire all 12 months of the year. In fact, many new positions are funded to start with a new budget year — which often coincides with a new calendar year. So don’t put off your job search until January.
- The holidays offer natural networking opportunities — say “Yes!” to invitations to company parties, social gatherings, and end-of-the-year professional association events.
- Take the opportunity to re-connect with old friends and colleagues. Send a holiday card to previous co-workers and supervisors, people from high school and college, former neighbors, etc.
- Volunteer! There are many opportunities during the holidays to give your time to charities. Some of these opportunities might help you build your network, make new connections, and can be added to your résumé.
- Make sure you’re reachable during the holidays! You may be asked to interview at unusual times — for example, on Black Friday. Keep your phone on, and make sure you’re checking your email and voicemail regularly.
Download our Free Job Search Strategy Guide to help you map out your job search plans
Latest posts by Madelyn Mackie (see all)
- Activate Your Customized Resume…FAST! - March 29, 2018
- Activate Your Resume Online Course is OPEN FOR ENROLLMENT - March 15, 2018
- 3 Ways to Stay Motivated During Your Job Search - March 8, 2018
- Can I Use A Generic Résumé? - February 22, 2018