Many of my job seeking clients want to take a “little break” during the Holiday season because no one is hiring anyway, right? WRONG! Companies are still hiring right now! In fact, it is actually a great time to network, do some follow-up calls, and send out more resumes.
Here are 5 tips for a Holiday Job Search
- Employers hire all 12 months of the year. In fact, many new positions are funded to start with a new budget year — which often coincides with a new calendar year. So don’t put off your job search until January.
- The holidays offer natural networking opportunities — say “Yes!” to invitations to company parties, social gatherings, and end-of-the-year professional association events.
- Take the opportunity to re-connect with old friends and colleagues. Send a holiday card to previous co-workers and supervisors, people from high school and college, former neighbors, etc.
- Volunteer! There are many opportunities during the holidays to give your time to charities. Some of these opportunities might help you build your network, make new connections, and can be added to your résumé.
- Make sure you’re reachable during the holidays! You may be asked to interview at unusual times — for example, on Black Friday. Keep your phone on, and make sure you’re checking your email and voicemail regularly.
Download our Free Job Search Strategy Guide to help you map out your job search plans
The following two tabs change content below.
A big dreamer as well as a big do-er, Madelyn draws on her experience of successfully navigating three high-profile careers to provide the expert advice, encouragement, and step-by-step action plans you need to activate your career dreams.
Latest posts by Madelyn (see all)
- 11 Best Practices for Working With Applicant Tracking Systems - November 24, 2021
- Should I Put My Vaccination Status on My Résumé? - November 11, 2021
- 12 Strategies to the Hidden Job Market - August 12, 2021
- Activate Your Career Dreams Resume Checklist - July 30, 2021