Let’s face it, sometimes you need to find another job or position as quickly as possible but you don’t want to give anyone any hints that you’re doing so. If you’re looking for a new job but don’t want to look like you’re looking for a new job, here are seven tips we recommend that will help to keep your intentions private.
1. Don’t tell anyone.
If you do happen to tell someone you’re looking for a new job, be sure to tell them in confidence.
2. Tell recruiters the job search is confidential.
Let them know to inform you before they submit you as a candidate for another company.
3. Let the prospective employer know your job search is confidential.
If you need to list references, don’t place current supervisors or coworkers on your reference list.
4. Make a separate Gmail account.
Keep your email address for your job search separate from your personal account. Don’t include your name in your generic new email account.
5. Make a confidential copy of your resume.
Make sure you list “Confidential Candidate” as the title at the top. You can provide a generic job description of what you do now but don’t include your current employer’s true company name.
6. Pay attention to what you wear.
If you happen to wear a suit (due to an interview), you could gain unwanted attention and speculation at the office. Bring your interview clothes with you and plan some time to change your outfit before you attend your interview.
7. Don’t slack off at your current job.
Even though you’re quietly looking for a new job, keep your commitment to getting the job done where you are right now. Whether or not you’re seeking a new career opportunity, continue providing quality work at your current company, even though you’re on the lookout.
The key to a confidential job search is to keep things to yourself as much as possible. Tell only those you trust and be open with your recruiters and potential employers about your confidential intentions. It will make for a smoother job transition in the long run.
Latest posts by Madelyn Mackie (see all)
- 5 Ways Hiring a Resume Writer is Better Than ChatGPT - November 9, 2023
- 7 Tips for a Confidential Job Search - October 26, 2023
- Five Reasons to Get Involved with Your Company’s Employee Resource Group - September 28, 2023
- 5 Ways to Help a Friend Who Has Recently Been Laid Off - September 14, 2023